Report on Defense Editor And Writer
Defense Editor And Writer
The National Interest, a print and online magazine focusing on international affairs, foreign policy, national security, domestic politics and more is searching for an individual to join our online editorial team as our new Defense Editor and writer. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
This specific position entails writing and editing articles concentrating on defense, military hardware and national security issues as well as other duties as needed.
This demanding but rewarding position requires the following skills:
- “Blogging” and writing on defense, military hardware and national security issues multiple times per day. Examples of what we are looking for can be found here and here.
- Experience in journalism (1 year or more) or online writing/blogging, a background in defense and national security writing and familiarity with tools used in web production (basic HTML/Drupal, Photoshop, SEO, Google Analytics) will particularly stand out on an application.
- Knowledge of American, Chinese, Russian, European Union and various other nation and non-nation states’ military hardware, security strategies, technological trends etc.
- Successful candidates will also can write clearly, intelligently, and thoughtfully keeping in mind short deadlines and fast turnaround times.
- Other duties include copy-editing and fact checking online pieces (knowledge of Chicago-Style is a plus), communicating with authors, researching potential topics for publication, art selection and formatting content for TNI’s online edition.
- A bachelor’s degree in one of the following disciplines: political science, history, and/or international affairs. A master’s degree in one of the above is highly desirable.
All applications must submit the following: Cover letter, Resume/CV, and a writing sample of 500 words or more to: firstname.lastname@example.org.