Report on Health Care Billing Clerk I - San Francisco, CA 94103
Health Care Billing Clerk I - San Francisco, CA 94103
1635 Health Care Billing Clerk IGeneral Job Description:
Under supervision, reviews and evaluates medical claims to third-party payors, Medicare, and Medi-Cal for services provided to patients by the Department of Public Health.
The 1635 Health Care Billing Clerk I performs the following essential job functions:
- Reviews, evaluates, and processes bills for services rendered to patients in order to obtain reimbursement from various insurance carriers and government programs;
- Evaluates billing documents and claims data for accuracy and completeness, obtaining missing or correct data when necessary from sources such as the patient's medical record, discharge summary, and Admissions forms;
- Prepares the claims forms by completing the information required and categorizing the billing charges by grouping them according to types of medical services provided;
- Reviews electronic and lockbox payments and posts to corresponding accounts;
- Researches questions and concerns, and provides assistance to patients, physicians, insurance and legal representatives, and others regarding claims reimbursement and coverage;
- Queries electronic databases in order to verify patient's medical records number to ensure that the proper medical chart is requested.
The 1635 Health Care Billing Clerk I also performs other related duties as required.
Six (6) months of experience billing, claims processing and/or collecting healthcare service reimbursements or medical claims from Medi-Cal (Medicaid), Medicare, insurance, third-party payors, and individual payors in a hospital, healthcare agency, or healthcare billing organization.
Completion of 15 semester units or 22 quarter units of medical billing related coursework from an accredited college or university may substitute for six (6) months of qualifying experience.
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the HR Analyst, Patrick Cheng, by telephone at 415-554-2919, or by email at Patrick.Cheng@sfdph.org.