Report on Library Assistant - Edinburg, TX
Library Assistant - Edinburg, TX
I. JOB SUMMARY
The purpose of this position is to provide the highest level of specialized skills necessary to the operation of a unit of the library. The Library Assistant is responsible for providing high-quality service in the Cataloging, Children, Circulation, Reference and/or Systems Department, as well as promoting an accommodating, welcoming library environment. Library Assistants help customers with information needs and general library usage.
II. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature which may be obtained with a two-year Associate's degree, diploma or equivalent from a college, technical, business, vocational, or correspondence school. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training.
Requires under and including one (1) year of library experience.
III. EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Applicant will be subject to a complete background investigation. Incomplete, inaccurate and/or failure to report information will cause the applicant rejection from consideration.
- Applicant must take and pass a pre-employment drug test administered by the City of Edinburg at the City’s expense.
- Must have a current valid class “C” driver’s license from the Texas Department of Public Safety with a satisfactory driving record.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
IV. SKILL ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Requires a working knowledge of all library procedures and policies.
- Work may require providing advice to others outside direct reporting relationships on specific problems or general policies. Contacts may require the consideration of different points of view to reach agreement. Elements of persuasion may be necessary to gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas.
- Intermediate computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment; includes Excel, Word, Publisher, database management, and record keeping.
- Knowledge of Dewey Decimal System.
- Customer Service skills.
V. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Note: This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The list of essential functions below does not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent in this position.
- Register borrowers, issue library cards and keep records of new registrants; check materials in and out; process hold items and inform patrons when material is ready for pick-up; notify patrons of overdue materials and collect fines; respond to inquiries from the public concerning library services and library policies; answer telephone and route calls; establish and maintain good relations with the public; assist patrons with locating requested materials and with computer searches; keeps daily statistics for monthly reports; perform related receptionist duties.
- Organize and shelve/return books, magazines, CDs, and other related library materials to their proper locations; reorganize shelves to make room for new materials; ensure shelved books are in order; coordinate the repair of damaged books; empty book drops; classifies and catalogues library materials using a variety of on-line databases.
- Assist patrons with library electronic databases, search tools including online catalog, computers, copiers, and reference questions.
- Maintain café neat and clean on a daily basis; keep café shop supplies current and assist with re-stocking merchandise; price merchandise and put on display, in accordance with prices set; inventory and appropriate inventory levels; assist with food preparation; open and close shop.
- Participate in library events, programs, art events and puppet shows; assist with event set up and break down; publicize events by distributing fliers; maintain count and record attendants; assist in occasional story time, book recommendation, and library outreach.
- Process all new and donated materials received for the collection, including stamping with ownership stamps, attaching security strip, pocket, and barcode, and typing and attaching spine labels.
- Assist with troubleshooting network and computer issues, set up of new computers and software and computer updates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
General office and safety equipment/materials to include but not limited to the following:
- Personal computer
- Copier/Fax Machine
- 10-key Calculator
- Cash Register
- City Vehicle
VII. WORK CONDITIONS
Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Office environment.
VIII. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The job has moderate hazards and physical demands are low to moderate. Duties involve considerable bending, lifting, carrying, or walking and/or using equal to lifting 25-50 pounds.